The Nevada Regents' Award for Creative Activities is given annually to one NSHE faculty member with a distinguished record in creative activity. Faculty from all NSHE institutions, except DRI, are eligible for consideration. Although this award is intended for individuals, groups who by their collaboration have made major advances, may be recognized as well. The intent is to select one individual (or group) for recognition each year. However, the selection committee may choose to send forward more than one recommendation under exceptional circumstances.
A. Nominations. Notification is sent annually by the Chancellor's Office to each NSHE campus to begin the nomination process: late August/early September. Each institution, except DRI, may submit one nomination only for consideration to the Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs. Each nomination must contain the following information only:
i. Formal letter of nomination from an NSHE employee or student, adhering to the following guidelines:
- The nomination letter must indicate the significance, volume, and quality of the candidate's creative activity in such a way as to clarify the nominee's activities for individuals from other disciplines;
- The letter must address clear evidence of the national or international stature of the candidate's creative activity. This evidence should reflect recognized evaluation in the form of critically reviewed presentations, books, and other forms of recognition (e.g., invited presentations, juried exhibitions, awards, honors). A fuller listing of these should be provided in the nominee's curriculum vitae, which must be attached to the letter of nomination; and
- The letter of nomination must address the candidate's continuous record of long-term creative activity.
ii. Curriculum vitae containing a list of presentations, awards, and honors; and
iii. Supplementary materials as follows:
- No more than three examples of a scholarly, creative product (e.g., music CD, art slides, videotape, audiotape, work of fiction or non-fiction, piece of artwork, etc.);
- Creative products must be no longer than 10 minuters in length and available to view in a shareable, electronic format.
- No more than three reviews, adjudications, or testimonials conferred by persons who audited the original work;
- No more than three letters of support from persons knowledgeable of the nominee's qualifications; and
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers of up to five persons outside of the NSHE whom the Selection Committee may contact about the candidate's creative achievements.
B. Length of Service. Candidates must have at least five years of cumulative service in the NSHE by the date of nomination in order to be considered for the awards.
C. Nominations must be sent via email to the award coordinator by Monday, September 24th, no later than 5 p.m. If you choose to store your nomination and supplemental materials on a disc, you may send that disc by the deadline via inter-office mail.
D. Committee Review. The CSN Internal Recognition Committee scores all submitted material based on this Rubric Regents' Creative Activities Award which follows the criteria above from NSHE. The committee can only give each nominee a score based on what is submitted. To be competitive, please follow the guidelines carefully and provide specifics and details where necessary. Generalities and brief descriptions of contributions are not sufficient. Since this award is prestigious and competitive, the nominee should be collaborative and significantly involved in the process of putting together the materials. The nominee should make sure that all information is accurate and inclusive. Don't leave anything out. Don't be modest. Put your best foot forward to make sure when you are nominated it is an outstanding representation of your worthiness for this award.
Please submit your nomination materials in the order outlined above.
After the CSN Internal Recognition Committee has reviewed the nominations, recommendations are sent to the Vice President of Academic Affairs, who will then submit a CSN nominee for this award to NSHE. Once you are selected to represent CSN, these materials are then sent to NSHE where you compete against the selections from other NSHE colleges/universities. A NSHE selection committee will review all system nominations and makes the final decision during the spring semester.
E. Final Approval. The recommendation of the selection committee shall be presented to the Academic, Research and Student Affairs Committee for final approval.
F. Award Amount: $5,000