Essential Student Services
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates > Essential Student Services
CSN is operating remotely but we’re still here for you.
Reach out to us online or by video, phone or email.
Emergency Fund/Student Life and Leadership Development - The CSN Student Emergency Fund has been set up to assist students with unexpected emergencies that could jeopardize their academic success. The fund awards up to $500. Please visit our webpage at www.csn.edu/student-life to find out more information or email the Director of Student Life and Leadership Development, Brian Akins.
Alternative scholarship for currently enrolled DACA status or undocumented students who graduated from high school, are pursuing a declared program of study and meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Visit https://www.csn.edu/csn-alternative-scholarship.
Academic advising is working with students through online and phone appointments. Staff are available to assist students with academic advising questions through the following avenues:
- New Student Advising – New CSN students should visit our new student advising webpage at www.csn.edu/newstudentadvising to begin the course registration process. New students will complete an online workshop before receiving a course recommendation form from an academic advisor. Students can complete the online workshop at any time.
- Remote (Online or Phone) Appointments – Primarily for current, returning, and transfer students, academic advising is accepting appointments through MyCoyotePLAN for online or phone appointments. Appointments are available Monday from 8:30 AM – 6 PM, Tuesday through Friday from 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM, and select Saturdays in August from 9 AM – 12:30 PM . When selecting a location, please select the appointment type that will accommodate your needs.
- Virtual Express Advising (VEA) – Beginning August 3, academic advising will provide Virtual Express Advising to students. VEA will be available on a first come, first served basis from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Students who wish to meet with an advisor through VEA should check into the advising queue (https://at.csn.edu/virtualqline) for any campus. When you are at the front of the queue, you will receive a phone call from an academic advisor. Please note that these sessions will last 15 minutes, so please have questions ready.
- Email - Students can email the Advising Team and a team member will reply during normal business hours, Monday through Friday 8 AM to 5 PM. Please note that email responses can take up to 48 business hours.
CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services) continues to offer services remotely. Staff are available Monday through Friday 8:00 AM-5:00 PM via phone and email Contact Us to walk you through the intake process, answer questions and schedule appointments. Sessions held via Zoom.
West Charleston 702-651-5518
North Las Vegas 702-651-4099
Career and Transfer Services
Available to support and assist students with career exploration questions, career assessments, and resume assistance. Students interested in completing the TypeFocus Career Assessment or search jobs on CareerLink, please log onto our webpage at www.csn.edu/cats and click the “Career Tools” link. Students may also email questions to Charleston Career Services.
Staff available via email to answer questions and concerns.
Help answer general questions, address challenges, connect you to resources, help you prepare academic suspension and financial aid appeals, and discuss E-Alert referrals from instructors. Schedule a phone or online appointment through MyCoyotePLAN. To send email a particular counselor, go to CSN Counseling Page, scroll down to the “Meet the Counselors” section and click on the envelope icon below the counselor’s name.
Disability Resource Center - DRC
Qualified students with disabilities may go online to www.csn.edu/drc for information regarding submission of documentation. You may submit documentation at http://apps.csn.edu/DRCRegistration For questions regarding services:
- Call (702) 651-4448 or
- VP at (702) 475-4676 with questions regarding services
Online information for students at www.csn.edu/excess-credit-information. Staff are available by emailing the Excess Credit team. When emailing, please include your name, NSHE student ID number and question to help us serve you better.
Financial aid staff is available by email and by phone during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 702-651-4303. Some of your questions may be answered in our online FAQs.
Please note the Financial Aid Office only corresponds with students via the CSN-issued email. To better assist you, please include your NSHE ID (student ID) in the body of your email.
You may submit documents for verification though our Verification Gateway Portal for 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 at https://www.csn.edu/verification-gateway-inceptia.
If you have specific questions for certain types of aid, please use the emails listed below:
- Email on Scholarships
- Email on College Work Study
- Email on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeals
- Email on Loan Inquiries
First Year Experience (FYE)
The FYE Team is available to answer new student questions, assist with new student orientation, connect to CSN resources, navigate the remainder of the first year and link them to our Coyote Concierges and Peer Leaders as a voice of support and guidance. Stay connected to FYE through email, on IG at fye.csn and Twitter at @FYECSN1 – we are here to help!
Advisers continue to assist international students Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. by phone at 702-651-5820 or 702-651-5842 or you can email the Advising Team.
Online books, articles, films, citation guides and other resources for completing research assignments are available 24/7 at https://library.csn.edu/.
Help – Ask a Librarian - Help available via chat, email, and text message at library.csn.edu/ask. Current schedule:
- Monday through Thursday: 8 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Saturday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Sunday: 9 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Textbooks – Staff provides students access to textbooks on reserve. If in need of a textbook, go to Ask a Librarian, (copyright parameters applicable).
Additional Collections & Resources – Go to Guide to Free Academic Resources During COVID-19 for vendors’ collections and resources available for use during the COVID-19 crisis.
Open Educational Resources - Usually free or low-cost resources openly available to faculty to share with students. Librarians ready to help faculty find high quality resource for future courses. Email Gracie McDonough.
Office of the Registrar
To find the best “Contact Us” email link about residency, graduation, transfer credit evaluation, declaration of major, appeals, or general questions go to https:// www.csn.edu/admissions. The appropriate representative will respond to you by email. Emails received after 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday will receive a reply the next business day. Please note that FERPA guidelines apply, therefore, only limited student account information will be provided electronically.
Recruitment and College Connections
Recruiters take appointments and questions via email and online chat. To schedule a virtual appointment or chat, please submit a Contact Us Request form. A team member will contact you to assist You may also visit www.csn.edu/apply to explore CSN’s programs and apply for our upcoming summer or fall terms.
Stay Connected with your Peers and Campus Life
COYOTE FIRESIDE CHAT – go live on IG with @ASCSNHENDERSON, @ASCSNNLV, and @ASCSNCHARLESTON, for the first of many Coyote Fireside Chats!!
- Coyote Fireside Chats are held every Monday and Wednesday at 12:30 p.m.
Testing and Placement Center
The Testing Center is currently providing essential services remotely in the online environment. Testing Services.
TRIO Student Support Services
Staff are available to help participants select coursework for upcoming summer and fall terms, guide students through challenges brought on by the temporary switch to remote instruction, ensure adherence to Academic and Career Plans (IACP), meet upcoming four-year college and scholarship application deadlines, and refer students to critical CSN and community resources. Reach your TRIO specialist by phone 702-651-4441 or email TRIO.
Tutoring/Centers for Academic Success (CAS)
Access online tutoring and learning support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through the Smarthinking platform inside CANVAS. For instruction on how to access Smarthinking in CANVAS go to Smarthinking Online Tutoring.
If you prefer to work with CSN’s own tutors and learning assistants, they are available in Smarthinking during the following operational hours only:
- Monday - Thursday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday - Sunday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
To work with CSN tutors in Smarthinking choose “Work with a Tutor or Career Coach” and then choose your subject of choice with “CSN” in the subject title. For a video on how to access CSN CAS Tutors/Learning Assistants in Smarthinking click here
NO time for a live session? Choose “Submit a Question” and drop off your question. A tutor will respond to you as soon as possible. Academic learning support includes assistance with learning strategies, reading, writing, math, science, speech presentations, as well as navigating Canvas, Smarthinking, and Microsoft Office. CAS tutors also provide support to study groups and assistance with placement test preparation in reading, writing, and math.
For further questions, or assistance using Smarthinking, you may call the Centers for Academic Success (CAS) during the above listed operational hours:
• Charleston Campus 702-651-5732
• North Las Vegas Campus 702-651-4232
• Henderson Campus 702-651-3125
For more details visit www.csn.edu/centers-academic-success
*Students will receive notification when on-ground tutoring services resume.
Staff available via email to assist and provide guidance Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please email your questions. Messages sent after 4 p.m. will receive a reply the next business day.
- The VETS office is also working with VA representatives to determine possible impact to VA beneficiaries. Staff is available to answer questions via email during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- You may also contact the VA Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551, Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., or follow them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gibillEducation/.