Any pdf to be placed on the web will need to be checked for accessibility issues before submitting. Please follow the instructions below to check your pdf(s)
- Open Acrobat (not reader, you will need the full version)
- Open your pdf in it.
- At the top, select “Tools” > “Accessibility”. A right nav screen will appear.
- Select “Full Check” and in the popup that appears, select “Start Checking”
- A left nav will appear with the issues found.
- Right clicking on each issue will give you an option “Explain” which will give some context to the error and how to fix it.
Keep in mind that any fixes that need to be made should be made in the source document, such as MS Word, Excel, etc, rather than directly in the pdf (see Microsoft Word Document Accessibility). The reason for this is that when you make an update to your document and re-export to pdf, you will not have to deal with the same issues again when re-checking the pdf for accessibility problems. However, there are certain cases in which you will have to make the change directly in the pdf. Please make sure that all issues are taken care of within the pdf before submitting it for Needs Review.
You can also use this video as a how-to to walk through setting up you pdf correctly